In 1903, a group of devout African American Baptists, realizing that “in unity there is strength,” met and organized what is the Florida East Coast Missionary Baptist Association. The churches were from a wide area extending as far west as Sanford and Deland, running eastward to Daytona Beach and southward to Key West. The Association’s main objectives – missions, evangelism and education.
During the 1904 Annual Session held at Mount Bethel Baptist Church in Daytona Beach, the women marveled at the great work the brothers were doing and requested that they be organized. Their request was granted and the Women’s Division was formed.
Due to the vastness of the district, rather than dissension, which is the consensus of opinion, and the Association divided. The northern section chose the name of the Mount Zion Northeast Coast, and the southern section was called the Florida East Coast Missionary Baptist Association. Whereas Mount Zion Northeast Coast was to include all of Brevard and Volusia Counties; Mount Bethel, Daytona Beach and Saint Paul, Cocoa, retained their membership in the Florida East Coast Baptist Association.